Affiliated researcher of the Centre for German and European Studies
Junior professor, faculty of Sociology, Magdeburg University
- Youth organizations
- 11/08-07/12 PhD in Sociology at Bielefeld University, Germany + PhD in Sociology and Social Research at Trento University, Italy; PhD thesis: „Music and youth political organizations in contemporary Russia: the national identity issue”
- 03/06-02/09 Master of Arts (M.A.) in „European Institutions and Regional Governance“ at Catholic University Eichstätt-Ingolstadt, Germany (Grade: Sehr gut, 1,49) + „Laurea Specialistica“ in Sociology and Social Research at Trento University, Italy (Grade: 110 cum laude); Master’s Thesis: „Citizenship policies in Germany and Italy: the naturalization process“
- 09/02-05/06 Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Sociology at Catholic University Eichstätt-Ingolstadt, Germany (Grade: Sehr gut, 1,3) + „Laurea Triennale” in Sociology at Trento (Grade: 110/110); Bachelor’s Thesis: „Die Rolle der Musik für den Rechtsextremismus in Deutschland“ (The role of music in the German Right-wing extremism)
International exchange experiences:
- 08/10-11/10 Visiting Fellow at St. Petersburg State University, Russia / Centre for German and European Studies (CGES)
- 08/09-12/09 Visiting Scholar at University of California - Berkeley, US / Department of Sociology - Graduate Program in Soviet and Post-Soviet Studies
- 09/07-06/08 Visiting Student at University of California - San Diego, US / Department of Sociology - Center for Comparative Migration Studies
- 03/13 St. Petersburg State University, CGES, Methodological Seminar: “Comparative Methodologies, Operationalizations and Specifics of European Studies Research”
- 10/12 – 02/13 Bielefeld University, Department of Language and Literature, BA Course “Music and National Identity”
- 04/12 – 07/12 Bielefeld University, Department of Sociology, BA Course “Music and Politics: between State Propaganda and Protest”
- 09/10 – 11/10 School of Economics, Saint Petersburg, BA Course “Political Sociology”
External funding and fellowships:
- 11/11-07/12 DAAD Scholarship for the completion of the doctoral thesis
- 08/09-09/12 Exchange Scholarship, International Visitors and Exchange Office (IVEO), UC Berkeley
- 11/08-10/11 PhD Scholarship, Graduate School in Sociology and Social Research, University of Trento, Italy
- 09/07-08/06 Exchange Scholarship, Education Abroad program (EAP), UC San Diego
- Pierobon, C. (2020). Global Governance, Multi-Actor Cooperation, and Civil Society. In: W. Leal Filho, A. Azul, L. Brandli, P. Özuyar, & T. Wall (Eds.), Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions: Encyclopedia of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Cham: Springer.
- Pierobon, C. (2019). The Power of Civil Society in the Middle East and North Africa: Peace-building, Change, and Development. Abington: Routledge (edited with Natil, I. and Tauber, L.).
- Pierobon, C. (2019). Introducing Civil Society. In: I. Natil, C. Pierobon, & L.Tauber (Eds.), The Power of Civil Society in the Middle East and North Africa: Peace-building, Change, and Development. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Pierobon, C. (2019). The EU, Civil Society, and Social Capital in Kazakhstan: A Pilot Evaluation of the EIDHR and NSA/LA. Journal of Evaluation, 25 (2), 207-223.
- Pierobon, C. (2019). Promoting Sustainable Development Through Civil Society: A Case Study of the EU’s NSA/LA Thematic Program in Kyrgyzstan. Development Policy Review, 37, 179-192.
- Pierobon, C. (2018). The Development of Civil Society in Post-Soviet Kyrgyzstan: An Analysis of the National and International Context. Annali di Ca’ Foscari. Serie orientale, 54 (1), 107-133 (DOI 10.30687/annor/2385-3042/2018/01/006).
- Pierobon, C. (2017). The European Union and Sustainable Development in Kyrgyzstan: The Role of Civil Society. In Contemporary Global Trends: Challenges and Risks for Central Asia (pp. 41-52). Almaty: German-Kazakh University.
- Pierobon, C. (2017). German Political Foundations in Central Asia: Promoting Democracy Through Civil Society. European Journal of Social Sciences Education and Research, 9 (1), 80 – 86.
- Pierobon, C. (2017). Music and youth movements in Russia. Religion und Gesellschaft in Ost und West – RGOW 2017 (1).
- Pierobon, C. (2016). Civil Society in the EU development and human rights agenda: The case of DG DEVCO-EIDHR”. In: R. Marchetti (Ed.), Partnership in International Policy Making: Civil Society and Public Institutions in Global and European Affairs (pp. 195 – 213). London: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Pierobon, C. (2016). The Development of state-civil society relations in Kazakhstan. Eurasiatica, 6, pp. 203 – 223.
- Pierobon, C. (2016). The European Union and the empowerment of Civil Society in Kazakhstan: an evaluation of the EIDHR and NSA/LA. Central Asian Policy Review, 2(2), 11 – 15.
- Pierobon, C. (2015). Sustainable Development in Kazakhstan: national and international measures in Central Asia and European Union: way to sustainable development, Kazakh German University, Almaty, pp. 242-250.
- Pierobon, C. (2015). The Relations between the EU and Kazakhstan: the case of the cooperation program ‘Supporting Kazakhstan Local Development Policies, in Jonboboev, S. et al. (eds.), Central Asia: Issues, Problems, and Perspectives, Göttingen: Cuvillier, pp. 257-284.
- Molitor, V., Pierobon, C. (eds.) (2014). Identities in Media and Music. Case-Studies from (Trans)national, Regional and Local Communities. InterDisciplines – Journal of History and Sociology, 5(1).
- Pierobon, C. (2014). Music and Political Youth Organisations in Russia: the National Identity Issue, Wiesbaden: Springer VS.
- Pierobon, C. (2014). Political Youth Organisations, Music and National Identity in Contemporary Russia. Journal of Transition States and Societies, 6(2), 39-56.
- Pierobon, C. (2014). Belonging’ in Music in the Social and Behavioral Sciences: An Encyclopedia, Thousand Oaks: SAGE Publication.
- Pierobon, C. (2013). Music and Political Youth Organizations in Russia. The National Identity Issue. Wiesbaden: Springer VS.
- Pierobon, C. (2012). Rechtsrock: White Power Music in Germany. In: A. Shekhovtsov, & P. Jackson (eds.), White Power Music: Scenes of Extreme Right Cultural Resistance (pp. 7-23). Islington: Searchlight and RNM Publications
- Pierobon, С. (2011). Youth Political Organizations and Music: The Case of St. Petersburg. CGES Working Papers, 1. Bielefeld-St. Petersburg.