Associate researcher of the Centre for German and European Studies
Junior professor, faculty of Sociology, Magdeburg University
- Youth organizations
- 11/08-07/12 PhD in Sociology at Bielefeld University, Germany + PhD in Sociology and Social Research at Trento University, Italy; PhD thesis: „Music and youth political organizations in contemporary Russia: the national identity issue”
- 03/06-02/09 Master of Arts (M.A.) in „European Institutions and Regional Governance“ at Catholic University Eichstätt-Ingolstadt, Germany (Grade: Sehr gut, 1,49) + „Laurea Specialistica“ in Sociology and Social Research at Trento University, Italy (Grade: 110 cum laude); Master’s Thesis: „Citizenship policies in Germany and Italy: the naturalization process“
- 09/02-05/06 Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Sociology at Catholic University Eichstätt-Ingolstadt, Germany (Grade: Sehr gut, 1,3) + „Laurea Triennale” in Sociology at Trento (Grade: 110/110); Bachelor’s Thesis: „Die Rolle der Musik für den Rechtsextremismus in Deutschland“ (The role of music in the German Right-wing extremism)
International exchange experiences:
- 08/10-11/10 Visiting Fellow at St. Petersburg State University, Russia / Centre for German and European Studies (CGES)
- 08/09-12/09 Visiting Scholar at University of California - Berkeley, US / Department of Sociology - Graduate Program in Soviet and Post-Soviet Studies
- 09/07-06/08 Visiting Student at University of California - San Diego, US / Department of Sociology - Center for Comparative Migration Studies
- 03/13 St. Petersburg State University, CGES, Methodological Seminar: “Comparative Methodologies, Operationalizations and Specifics of European Studies Research”
- 10/12 – 02/13 Bielefeld University, Department of Language and Literature, BA Course “Music and National Identity”
- 04/12 – 07/12 Bielefeld University, Department of Sociology, BA Course “Music and Politics: between State Propaganda and Protest”
- 09/10 – 11/10 School of Economics, Saint Petersburg, BA Course “Political Sociology”
External funding and fellowships:
- 11/11-07/12 DAAD Scholarship for the completion of the doctoral thesis
- 08/09-09/12 Exchange Scholarship, International Visitors and Exchange Office (IVEO), UC Berkeley
- 11/08-10/11 PhD Scholarship, Graduate School in Sociology and Social Research, University of Trento, Italy
- 09/07-08/06 Exchange Scholarship, Education Abroad program (EAP), UC San Diego
- Pierobon, C. (2020). Preventing Violent Extremism in Kyrgyzstan: The Role of the International Donor Community. Central Asia Policy Brief 56.
- Pierobon, C. (2020). Global Governance, Multi-Actor Cooperation, and Civil Society. In Leal Filho, W., Azul, A., Brandli, L., Salvia, A. L., Özuyar, P. G., & Wall, T. (Eds.), Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions. Encyclopedia of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Cham: Springer.
- Pierobon, C. (2019). The Power of Civil Society in the Middle East and North Africa: Peace-building, Change, and Development. Abington: Routledge (edited with Natil, I. and Tauber, L.).
- Pierobon, C. (2019). Promoting Sustainable Development Through Civil Society: A Case Study of the EU’s NSA/LA Thematic Program in Kyrgyzstan. Development Policy Review, 37, 179-192.
- Pierobon, C. (2018). The Development of Civil Society in Post-Soviet Kyrgyzstan: An Analysis of the National and International Context. Annali di Ca’ Foscari. Serie orientale, 54 (1), 107-133.
- Pierobon, C. (2017). German Political Foundations in Central Asia: Promoting Democracy Through Civil Society. European Journal of Social Sciences Education and Research, 9 (1), 80 – 86.
- Pierobon, C. (2016). The Development of state-civil society relations in Kazakhstan. Eurasiatica, 6, 203 – 223.
- Pierobon, C. (2016). The European Union and the empowerment of Civil Society in Kazakhstan: an evaluation of the EIDHR and NSA/LA. Central Asian Policy Review, 2(2), 11 – 15.
- Pierobon, C. (2015). Sustainable Development in Kazakhstan: national and international measures in Central Asia and European Union: way to sustainable development, Kazakh German University, Almaty, 242-250.