CGES general mission consists in bringing together Russian, German and European scholars to spread the highest standards and best practices of academic work, to promote high-quality education and perform edge-cutting comparative interdisciplinary research. In accordance with its general mission, the Сentre’s tasks include coordinating collaborative international research projects, developing transnational scientific dialogue and promoting international education programmes.
The CGES conducts international interdisciplinary research in the promising areas of German and European studies related to social sciences. It initiates and coordinates international research projects, supports individual research projects, encourages academic networking, and seeks to integrate research and education. It also supports follow-up and public implementation practices. Carrying out these tasks, the CGES emphasises involvement of early-career Russian and European scholars into international research activities, thus increasing scientific capacity of the CGES and providing sustainability of the Centre’s research agenda.
CGES academic activities are based on the following principles:
- Focused research. CGES runs and supports projects, which correspond its mission and key research areas. Large-scale projects involving Russian and European scholars and bringing in external funding are supplemented with additional small-scale and pilot projects.
- Networking. Conducting academic activities such as international conferences, workshops, and seminars, the CGES maintains ties with different faculties, universities, research groups and institutions in Russia (St. Petersburg in particular), Germany, and Europe. It allows involving leading scholars in the research conducted by the CGES.
- Integrative approach. CGES maintains thematic coherence and continuity of its academic activities including fundamental and practical research, internships, workshops and conferences, as well as scientific publications.
- Educational impact. CGES research involves PhD students and academically-oriented MA students, bringing together academic training and research activities. Leading researchers join teaching activities, participate in academic events, as well as supervise PhD and MA students.
- Outreach and practical applications. CGES research seeks to address the issues of broad societal importance and, where applicable, policy relevance.
The CGES research activities are conducted within four main research areas:
1. Network Structures in Germany, Europe and Russia (CGES coordinator: Dr. Nikita Basov)
2. Creativity, Communities, and Public Spaces in Germany, Europe and Russia (CGES coordinator: Dr. Alexandra Nenko)
3. Civil Society and Participation in Europe and Russia (CGES coordinator: Dr. Elena Belokurova)
4. Europe in World Society (CGES coordinator: Prof. Dr. Andreas Vasilache)
The results of the research activities are broadly disseminated at conferences and other events in Germany, Russia, and worldwide. Furthermore, all the research areas are highly active in publishing. The CGES encourages and is successful in promoting international peer-reviewed publications.
The research is supported by dozens of conferences, workshops, and other events, organized by the CGES.