Associate researcherat the Centre for German and European Studies
Associate professor at the department of sociology of culture and communication, faculty of sociology, SPSU
- Sociology of culture
- Sociology of everyday life
- Qualitative methods of social research
- Urban studies
- Memory studies
Education and work experience:
- 2004-2007 Doctoral student, Faculty of Sociology, St. Petersburg State University
- 1999-2004 Faculty of Sociology, St. Petersburg State University (Department of Cultural Anthropology and Ethnic Sociology), diploma with honors
- 2000-2002 Philological Faculty, St. Petersburg State University (Educational program “Interpreter in the Field of Professional Communication”, English), diploma with honors
- 2004-2006 RESET HESP regional seminars in Comparative Political Theory
- 2005 Oslo Summer School in Comparative Social Science Studies: Prof. Don Mitchell’s course “Urban Public Space and the Right to the City” (Oslo, Norway)
- 2006 Practical Seminar in Computer-Assisted Qualitative Data Treatment Using ATLAS.ti (SPbSU and Center of Qualitative Research and Consultation, Hanover, Germany)
- 2006 doctoral scholarship, Faculty of Sociology, University of Bielefeld, Germany
- 2007-April 2010 RESET HESP regional seminars in Multiculturalism, Religions and the Foundations of Morality in Contemporary Political Thought
- 2010-2011 RESET HESP regional seminars in Sociology of Everyday Life
- 2012 Seminar for Information Dissemination for Young Teachers from Germany, Russia and other European countries “Teaching Europe and Democracy” (Europäische Akademie Otzenhausen)
- 2013 Interdisciplinary Research Seminar Network Perspectives on Communication, Knowledge and Culture: From Theory to Empirical Applications (Center for German and European Studies, SPbSU – University of Bielefeld)
- 2011-present associate professor, Faculty of Sociology, St. Petersburg State University
- 2013-2017 director of Master Program “Studies in European Societies” (Faculty of Sociology, St. Petersburg State University – University of Bielefeld)
- 2010-present head of the Council of Young Scientists, Faculty of Sociology, St. Petersburg State University;32011-present: co-director of the Inter-university Laboratory of Urban Studies under the Center for Independent Social Research, St. Petersburg
- Tykanova, E., & Khokhlova, A. (2020). Grassroots urban protests in St. Petersburg: (non)participation in decision-making on the futures of city territories. International Journal of Politics, Culture and Society, 33 (2), 181-202.
- Tykanova, E., & Khokhlova, A. (2019). Grassroots Urban Protests in St Petersburg: (Non)Participation in Decision-Making on the Futures of City Territories. International Journal of Politics, Culture and Society, 1-22.
- Tykanova, E.V., & Khokhlova, A.M. (2019). Interaction Configuration of St Petersburg Social Movements Organizations Aimed at Improving the Urban Environment Quality. Social Area, 5(22).
- Tykanova, E., & Khokhlova, A. (2018). The family context of housing loans in Russia: the case of mortgage holders. In G. Eremicheva (Ed.), The transformation of the Russian city: the daily and working life of citizens(in Russian).
- Tykanova, E., & Khokhlova, A. (2018). Social configurations of urban communities: Russian and foreign experience. In G. Eremicheva (Ed.), The transformation of the Russian city: the daily and working life of citizens(in Russian).
- Nenko, A., Khokhlova, A., & Basov, N. (2017). Communication and Knowledge Creation in Urban Spaces: The Tactics of Artistic Collectives. In G. Aiello, M. Tarantino and K. Oakley (Eds.), Communicating the City: Meanings, Practices and Interactions (pp. 165-181). Urban communication series, 4. Peter Lang.
- Tykanova, E. V. & Khokhlova, A. M. (2017). Between the Political and the Apolitical: The Forms of Participation of Local Communities in the Defense of Urban Territories. In Modern city: Power, governance, economy (p. 226-245). Perm: Perm national research polytechnic university.
- Tykanova, E. V. & Khokhlova, A. M. (2017). Grassroots urban protests in St. Petersburg: (non)participation in decision-making on the futures of city territories. International Journal of Politics, Culture and Society.
- Tykanova, E. V. & Khokhlova, A. M. (2016) Key concepts and approaches in sociological life course studies. SPBSU Bulletin. Series 12. Sociology, 3, 4 – 19.
- Tykanova, E., Khokhlova, A. (2015). The performative logic of urban space contestation: two examples of local community mobilization in St. Petersburg. Urban grassroots movements in Central and Eastern Europe. Ed. by K. Jacobsson. Ashagte, pp. 139-162.
- Tykanova, E., Khokhlova, A. (2015). The Urban Political Regime in St. Petersburg: the Role of Real and Imagined Growth Machines in the Struggle for Urban Space. The Journal of Social Policy Studies 13(2), pp. 241-256.
- Basov, N., Nenko, A., & Khokhlova, A. (2014). Generating Knowledge in the City: A Study on Creative Communities of St. Petersburg. 8th midterm Conference of the European Research Network Sociology of the Arts ‘Art and its Contexts: Cross-Disciplinary Dialogue’. Book of Abstracts. Cluj-Napoca: Babeş‐Bolyai University, 18.
- Khokhlova, A. & Tykanova, E. (2014). Social Effects of Neoliberal Policy in a Post-Soviet City: Urban Space Contestation Revisited. XVIII ISA World Congress of Sociology ‘Facing an Unequal World. Challenges for Global Sociology’. Book of Abstracts. Yokohama, 2014, 487.
- Khokhlova, A. (2013). Creative Communities of St. Petersburg and Berlin: The Effects of Spatial Embeddedness. CGES Working Papers, 7. Bielefeld-St. Petersburg.
- Khokhlova, A. & Tykanova, E. (2013). Local Communities in St. Petersburg: Politicization of Claims to Contested Urban Spaces. Articulo - Journal of Urban Research, 4.
- Khokhlova, A., Kozlovskiy, V., & Veits, M. (2013). Formal Adult Education in the Context of the Labour Market Transformation in Russia. In: E. Saar, O. B. Ure & J. Holford (eds.), Lifelong Learning in Europe: National Patterns and Challenges (pp. 327-349). Cheltenham - Northampton: Edward Elgar.