Affiliated researcher of the Centre for German and European Studies
Head of the art and design school, senior lecturer at the department of sociology, researcher at the Centre for youth studies NRU HSE
Areas of research:
- Sociology of the arts
- Issues of cultural production and art as labor
- Youth cultures
- Clothing, consumption and fashion
- Youth studies
- 2011-2017 PhD-student National Research University Higher School of Economics, Sociology Department
- 2011 MA in sociology, St. Petersburg branch of NRU HSE
- 2009 BA in liberal arts, Smolny Institute of Liberal Sciences and Arts, St.-Petersburg State University / Bard College, NY
- 2003-2004 student at Philosophy Department, SPBU
- 2018-present Department of Design and Contemporary Art, School of Arts and Humanities, HSE, Chair
- 2015 (August) visiting fellow Bielefeld University
- 2014-2017 PhD-fellow, Centre for German and European studies SpbSU - Bielefeld University
- 2013-present lecturer, Sociology Department, NRU HSE St. Petersburg
- 2010-present research fellow, Centre for Youth Studies NRU HSE St. Petersburg
- 2010-2011 editor, Editorial and Publish Department of NRU HSE St. Petersburg
- 2007-2009 editor of culture column, ’Moy rayon’ newspaper
- 2005-2006 observer, ’Time Out St. Petersburg’ magazine
- 2018-present Dynamic of sociocultural network structures: Analysis of European creative collectives (The project is supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research)
- 2014-2017 ’Co-evolution of Knowledge and Communication Networks: Structural Dynamics of Creative Collectives in European Cultural Capitals’ (KNOCOMM), Centre for German and European Studies, field coordinator of London case (The project was supported by the Russian Foundation for Humanities)
- 2015 ’Family tree of Russian Contemporary Art’, Garage museum of contemporary art, researcher
- 2014-2015 ’Youth Solidarities and Generations of XXI Century: Meaning of Labor and Consumption’, CYS NRU HSE, researcher
- 2014 European biennale of contemporary art Manifesta10 public survey, research coordinator
- 2013-2014 ’Creative city: reformatting the public space’, ’Creative city’ research group, NRU HSE, researcher
- 2012 ’Innovation potential of Russia’s young people: solidarity, activism, civic responsibility’, CYS NRU HSE, researcher
- 2011-2012 ’Between discipline and experiment: Youth’s everyday body regimes in Russia’s current socio-economic conditions’, CYS NRU HSE, researcher
- 2011-present International research project MYPLACE – ’Memory, Youth, Politic Legacy And Civic Engagement’, FP7 Framework, interviewer
- 2011 ’Youth solidarities in the local and global context: Economy, Politics, Culture’, CYS NRU HSE, researcher
- 2010 ’New social movements of Youth’, CYS NRU HSE, researcher
Awards & Fellowship:
- Centre for Youth Studies, 2018
- Centre for German and European Studies PhD-Fellowship, 2014
- Heinrich Boell Foundation Scholarship, 2011
- Turning the Pushkin Museum into a ‘Russian Tate’: Informal creative labour in a transitional cultural economy (the case of privately funded Moscow art centres)(2019). International Journal of Cultural Studies., 22(2), 281-297.
- Creative Graduates’ Pathways in the Hybrid Cultural Economy of Contemporary Russia, in: Pathways into Creative Working Lives. (2019) L.: Palgrave Macmillan.
- The Soviet Underground Outcrops: a Transitional Field of Contemporary Art in Post-Soviet Russia (2019). Zivot Umjetnosti.
- Turning Pushkin Museum into ‘Russian Tate’: Informal Creative Labour in Transitional Cultural Economy (the Case of Privately Funded Moscow Art-centres)(2019). International Journal of Cultural Studies, 1-17.
- Cultural administrators as creative workers: the case of public and non-governmental cultural institutions in St. Petersburg (2018). Cultural Studies, 32 (5), 727-746.
- Menshikova A., Maglevanaya D., Kuleva M., Bogdanova S., Alekseev A. (2018) Art Critics and Art Producers: Interaction Through the Text. In: Alexandrov D., Boukhanovsky A., Chugunov A., Kabanov Y., Koltsova O. (eds) Digital Transformation and Global Society. DTGS 2018. Communications in Computer and Information Science, vol 859. Springer, Cham.
- The Dynamics of Professional Prestige in Fashion Industries of Europe and the US: Network Approach (2017). Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 10539, 31-40.
- Fashion Bloggers as Cultural Intermediaries: The Meaning of Brand Choices in Style Production (2017). In: D. Alexandrov, A. Boukhanovsky, A. Chugunov, Y. Kabanov, O. Koltsova (Eds.) Digital Transformation and Global Society (p. 45-54). DTGS 2017, CCIS 745, Springer International Publishing.
- Transformation of Creative Employment: A Case Study of Moscow Non-Governmental Art Centers. Monitoring of Public Opinion: Economic and Social Changes, 2, 50-62.
- Contemporary art as a profession: career path of young artists with dissimilar educational background (case of St. Petersburg) (2016). Journal of sociology and social anthropology, 19(1), 110 – 125.
- Old factories, new stakhanovites: Moscow contemporary art-centres as workplaces. Basic Research Programme (2016). Series HUM "Humanities", No. 138.
- To wear a collar with electric shock: Young workers of the new and the old cultural institutions at the workplace (2016). Journal of reseach in social policy, 13(2), pp. 337-344.
- Constructing Identities And Boundaries: Fashion And Clothing Of Working And Middle Class Youth In Contemporary Russia (2015). Higher School of Economics Research Paper No. WP BRP, 85.
- In the District: Youth Solidarities on the Urban Periphery (2015). Russian Education & Society, 57(2), 84-96.
- Web page: https://www.hse.ru/en/org/persons/20185240
- Phone: +79046014877 (St. Petersburg); 07944965020 (London)