Affiliated researcher of the Centre for German and European Studies
Researcher at the Center for Youth Studies, National Research University High School of Economics
PhD student at the University of Western Australia
- International migration processes
- Child-rearing practices
- Construction of national and ethnic identities
- Social psychology of prejudice
- Mixed marriages
- since 05/2017 affiliated researcher of the Centre for German and European Studies
- since 05/2011 researcher at the Center for Youth Studies, National Research University High School of Economics
- since 09/2005 senior Lecturer, Department of Sociology, St. Petersburg School of Social Sciences and Humanities, National Research University Higher School of Economics
- 05/2011-09/2015 Research Fellow, Center for Youth Studies, National Research University Higher School of Economics
- 05/2015-06/2015 Visiting Fellow, Centre for Russian, Central and East European Studies, University of Glasgow, UK
- 01/2009-12/2013 Deputy head of chair, Chair of Humanities, Department of Sociology, National Research University Higher School of Economics
- 11/2008-12/2010 Research Fellow, Sociology of Education and Science Laboratory, National Research University Higher School of Economics
- 01/2006-04/2006 University of Helsinki, Faculty of Social Sciences (TEMPUS Exchange Program), Helsinki, Finland
- 09/2002-06/2006 European University at St. Petersburg, Department of Political Science and Sociology, post-graduate program, Professional Training Diploma
- 09/2002-06/2003 European University at St. Petersburg, Department of Political Science and Sociology, MA in Sociology at the European University at St Petersburg (validated by University of Helsinki)
- 08/1996-06/2002 St. Petersburg State University, Department of Psychology, Diploma in Psychology, MA in Social Psychology (equivalent). Diploma with distinction
- 2017-present Researcher, individual project "Child-rearing practices of Russian-speaking women in Spain in the course of life" (supported by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- 2016 Researcher, individual project "Un/structured activities of children in the context of educational parent practices of Russian-speaking women in Madrid and St. Petersburg" (supported by Academic Fund Programme of National Research University Higher School of Economics)
- 2015 Researcher, individual project "The educational practices of Russian and Russian-mixed families in Spain: the role of parents` values and beliefs and/or structural constraints" (supported by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- 05/2015-12/2015 Researcher, 15-18-00078, collective project: "Positive interethnic practices and youth cultural stages of Russian cities" (supported by Russian Science Foundation)
- 02/2015-09/2015 Fieldwork Coordinator, collective project “The impact of out-of-school leisure organizations on academic achievements of young people in Stockholm and Saint Petersburg”, (supported by Södertörn University)
- 2013-2014 Researcher, 13-03-00576, collective project "After-school activities and integration of migrant children in St. Petersburg" (supported by the Russian Humanitarian Science Foundation)
- 09/2012-12/2012 National Fieldwork Coordinator, collective project "Memory, Youth, Political Legacy And Civic Engagement" (supported by the European Union`s Seventh Framework Programme)
- 05/2011-12/2011 Researcher, collective research "Migrant Children`s Educational and Psychological adaptation to secondary school" (supported by Ministry of Education and Science, Russia)
- 2009-2010 Researcher, Individual research "Social, psychological and linguistic determinants of youth`s ethnic attitudes” (supported by Academic Fund Programme of National Research University Higher School of Economics)
- 2005-2007 Collective research "Tolerance and Intolerance in the Post-Soviet press: Applying New Methods of Measurement and Evaluation" (supported by INTAS)
- 01/2006-04/2006 Researcher, Individual research "Governance of Educational Multiculturalism in Globalisation Era" in the framework of the TEMPUS project "Understanding European Governance in the North-Western Regions of Russia" (supported by TEMPUS program), Helsinki, Finland
- 2005-2006 Researcher Assistant, Collective research "New Threats to Humanity and Non-Traditional Security in Russia" (supported by Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies)
- 03/2005-08/2006 Individual research "Current Migration of Ethnic Russian from Armenia and Azerbaijan to Russia" (supported by Heinrich Böll Foundation (Germany)
Articles (in Russian):
- Akifyeva, R. (2017). Child-rearing Practices of Russian-speaking Women in Madrid: The Effects of the Neighborhood and Migration Specificity. Urban Studies and Practices, 1, 85-102.
- Akifyeva, R., & Andreeva, J. (2017). Structured activity of students from a dormitory suburb of St. Petersburg: social class, family and school. Journal of Sociology and Social Anthropology, XX(1), 128–148.
- Akifyeva, R. (2015). Children and their Migrant Parents in St. Petersburg: Divergent Lines of Behavior. Etnograficheskoe Obozrenie [Ethnographic Review], 15, 117–134.
- Akifyeva, R. (2014). After-school activities and educational aspirations: the relationship with the migration status and resources of families. Demoscope, 611–612. URL: http://demoscope.ru/weekly/2014/0611/analit04.php
- Akifyeva, R. (2011). Incorporation of migrant children in educational institutions. Education in Nizhniy Novgorod Region, 4, 76 - 82.
- Akifyeva, R., & Tolkachova, A. (2016). National and Regional Identities in Public Discourse of the Government Press in St.Petersburg. Ab Imperio, 3, 411- 435.
Articles (in English):
- Akifyeva, R., & Alieva A. The influence of students’ ethnicity on teacher expectations and teacher perceptions of student warmth and competence. Psychology in Russia: State of the Art. 2017. No. 4 (forthcoming).
- Chapters in edited volumes (in Russian)
- Akifyeva, R., & Erashova, V. (2016). Cultural and integration practices of Russian-speaking women in the context of marriage migration to the Netherlands. In East in the East, in Russia and in the West: cross-border migrations and diasporas. St. Petersburg: Nestor Historia, pp. 271–296.
- Akifyeva, R. (2015). Schooling, after-school activities and parenting strategies in families of Russians and migrants in St. Petersburg. In Children and adolescents in ethnic environment of large Russian city. St. Petersburg: Svoe Isdatelstvo, pp. 131–151.
- Akifyeva, R. (2014). The Resources and Capabilities of St. Petersburg After-School Programs for Social Support of Migrant Children. Social Services for Families and Children, 3(«The practice of working with migrant families: the experience of social care services in St. Petersburg»), pp. 12–26.
- Akifyeva, R., & Tolkachova, A. (2008). Nationalism and Tolerance in St. Petersburg Government Press. in Russian Nationalism: Social and Cultural Context. Moscow: NLO, 2008. pp. 371 – 400 (with Tolkachova A.).
- Akifyeva, R. (2008). Migration Processes and Education Policy: Creation of Cultural Diversity of a Homogeneous Nation in Regional and Ethnic Studies. Moscow: Russian Political Science Association (RAPN), pp. 245—266.
- Akifyeva, R., & Tolkachova, A. (2007). Transformation of Discourse of St.Petersburg Government Press in Hate Speech against Society. Moscow: Center "Sova", 2007. pp. 150-177.
Working papers (in English):
- Akifyeva, R., & Alieva, A. (2016). The Influence of Ethnicity on Teacher Expectations and Teacher Perceptions of Student Warmth and Competence. In Working paper, NRU Higher School of Economics. Series PSY “Psychology”. Vol. WP BRP 65/PSY/2016, pp. 1–22.
- Akifyeva, R. (2016). Children’s participation in structured activities in the context of the child-rearing strategies of Russian-speaking women: Class and migration status. Centre for German and European Studies. Series “Working Papers of Centre for German and European Studies". WP 2016-01, 1–14.
- Akifyeva, R. (2016). Child-rearing practices of Russian-speaking women from a migration perspective. In Working paper, Basic Research Programme. Series HUM “Humanities”. Vol. WP BRP 140/HUM/2016, pp. 1–22.
- Akifyeva, R., & Erashova, V. (2015). Identities and cultural orientations of Russian-speaking women in the process of transnational marriage migration to the Netherlands. In Working papers by Centre for German and European Studies. Series “Working Papers of Centre for German and European Studies”. Vol. 3, pp. 1–24.
- Akifyeva, R. (2015). Children and Parents in the Migration Context: Dissonant or Consonant Trajectories. In Working papers by Basic Research Programme. Series HUM “Humanities”. Vol. WP BRP 103/HUM/2015, pp. 1–22.